The issues faced by adolescents cover a range of topics, from the stressful stages of puberty and blossoming sexuality to the appearance of a large range of developmental disorders and social-emotional struggles. As one of the top adolescent and child psychologists in Media PA, I strive to have a practice that will provide each patient and family with a consistently safe place where all can find support, insight, and encouragement, to make the necessary changes for happy, productive lives.
Child Psychologist in Media, PA
It’s well-known that most children and especially adolescents are wary and anxious at the prospect of attending therapy and speaking with a family therapist. That’s OK. It may be difficult at first, but my priority when working with your child is to assuage any and all apprehension. My child and adolescent clients have told me how comfortable and safe they felt upon the first meeting, a feeling that is critical to encourage trust. As a licensed professional counselor, my approach goes beyond play therapy alone as it addresses and resolves underlying issues in a more efficacious and expedient manner that delivers lasting change.
After clarifying the concerns that warrant psychotherapy services, I complete a thorough history- taking all of your child’s struggles to address both the child’s and parents’ concerns. Research indicates the most important success factor in therapy is a therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist; I will make every attempt to be the perfect fit for your child.
Common Presenting Problems:
- Obsessions or compulsions
- Experiencing bullying or bullying other children
- Excessive school absenteeism or tardiness
- Test anxiety
- Development of or an increase in physical complaints (such as headache, stomachache, or not feeling well) despite a normal physical exam by your doctor
- Management of a serious, acute, or chronic illness
- Signs of alcohol, drug, or other substance use (such as solvents or prescription drug abuse)
- Problems adjusting to transitions (following separation, divorce, or relocation)
- Bereavement issues
- Experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event including sexual, physical, or emotional abuse
If you are interested in child and adolescent counseling and want to schedule a therapy session, please contact me today for a consultation.